Dental patients in Annandale, VA are turning more and more to dental implant surgery when they are missing one, several, or all their teeth. There are many reasons, but one important reason that stands out above the rest is the fact the bone tissue needs to be stimulated to maintain its health and strength. When you lose a tooth, the bone starts to disintegrate. Dental implant surgery by your local cosmetic dentist in Annandale, VA, is a permanent solution to the issues of bone loss.
Dental implant surgery will replace a tooth root with a metal, screwlike post and replaces the missing tooth with one that looks and functions much like the one you lost. Implants are an alternative to dentures or bridgework that feel uncomfortable and offer an option when you lack the natural teeth that you need to support dentures or bridgework.
The way dental implant surgery is performed depends on the type of dental implant and the condition of the jawbone. It may involve several different procedures by your dentist in Annandale, VA. Dental implant surgery gives you solid support for your new teeth. The process requires the bone to heal around the implant; the time can take many months to heal.
The implants are surgically placed in the jawbone by a cosmetic dentist in Annandale, VA. The implants serve as the root of the missing teeth. The titanium in the implants fuses to your jawbone so the implant will not slip, make any noise, or cause bone damage the way dentures might. These materials will not decay like your own teeth that support the bridgework or denture.
You might be a good candidate for dental implant surgery in Annandale, VA if you—
- Have one, several, or all missing teeth
- Have a jawbone which has reached its full growth
- Have adequate bone needed to secure the implants or are the right candidate for bone grafts
- Have healthy gum tissue
- Do not have any health conditions that might affect the healing of the bone
- Not able or not willing to wear dentures
- Want to improve your speech
- Do not smoke tobacco
- Are eager to commit to months of the dental implant surgery process
Will there be any risks involved?
- Once the dental implant surgery is completed by your local Annandale, VA cosmetic dentist, you will be given instructions for post-surgical care. Even with that, you could develop an infection at the implant site.
- Sometimes patients develop sinus problems when a dental implant is placed in the upper jaw and protrudes into one of the sinus cavities.
- Nerve damage can occur which can cause pain, numbness, or tingling to your other natural teeth, gums, chin, or lips.
- Damage or injury to surrounding teeth or blood vessels can happen
These problems are extremely rare and if they do occur are normally minor and easily treated.
What to expect during dental implant surgery by your Annandale, VA cosmetic dentist?
The procedure is usually an outpatient surgery in the office of your cosmetic dentist in Annandale, VA and may be performed in different stages, frequently done in one sitting. Multiple steps include—
- Removing the damaged tooth or teeth
- Preparing the jawbone if grafting is needed
- Placing the dental implant
- Allowing bone growth and healing
- Placing the abutment
- Placing the artificial tooth
The entire process could take many months to allow for healing and waiting for new bone growth in your jaw.
Dental implant placement—
- At the start of your dental implant surgery, the Annandale, VA cosmetic dentist will cut open the gum to expose the bone and then drill holes into the bone where the metal implant post is placed.
Allowing for bone growth—
- Osseointegration begins, which is the process where the jawbone grows into the surface of the dental implant. This can take several months.
Abutment and artificial tooth placement—
- Once the healing process is complete, your Annandale, VA cosmetic dentist will then place the abutment. The gum will be reopened to expose the implant so the abutment can be attached to the implant. The gum tissue will then be closed around the abutment, but not over it. Your Annandale, VA dentist will want you to come back in about two weeks, once the gum has healed after the abutment is placed so the artificial tooth can be attached.
If you have any questions about dental implant surgery, either call Annandale Smiles or stop by their office in Annandale, VA. They will be happy to answer any questions and set you up for your consultation visit for your dental implant surgery.