Dental checkups with your family dentist are important for Burke, VA families to maintain and protect their oral hygiene health. Daily brushing and flossing are extremely relevant to taking care of your teeth. In addition, you should visit your family dentist regularly for dental checkups. A family dentist at Annandale Smiles, located in Annandale, VA, recommends you visit your dentist every six months. Depending on the condition of your teeth and gums, your family dentist may recommend you come more often to get the proper care you need to maintain a healthy mouth.
What to Expect from Your Family Dentist
During a Dental Checkup
Your family dentist and dental hygienist will perform your dental checkup. Before starting, your dentist and dental hygienists will ask you a few questions about any new health issues such as: Have you been diagnosed with diabetes or heart disease or any other medical issues you might have developed since your last visit? Have you developed any sensitivity or bleeding gums since your last visit?
- Cleaning and Polishing – A family dentist and dental hygienist will use special instruments to scrape and remove tartar from your teeth and afterwards will then polish your teeth using a rotating rubber cup or brush to remove any remaining stains and plaque from your teeth.
- Education – Your dentist and hygienist will exam your teeth, gums, and mouth to look for problems such as cavities, gum disease, and early signs of oral cancer. Your dentist may also use a unique probe instrument to measure the ‘pockets’ between your teeth and gums and a special tool to check your teeth for cavities. Depending on their findings, they will discuss a treatment plan for you to follow.
- X-rays – X-rays will be taken to determine any tooth decay, gum disease, and any other problems your dentist might see.
First Dental Checkup (in addition to above)
- Complete medical history of your overall health.
- Medications and doses of each.
- Questions about your teeth and gums such as sensitivity or bleeding gums.
- Dental anxiety, if you are nervous, you should discuss this with your family dentist near Burke, VA so that the dentist can offer dental sedation as an option.
Annandale Smiles has become the family dentist for many families near Burke, VA. Our professional staff provides families the highest quality and most comfortable dental care with our state-of-the-art equipment and environment.