It is important at any age to go to a dentist. It is also important to have good oral hygiene to keep your teeth and gums healthy for a lifetime. Because there are many different types of dentists near Springfield, VA- family dentist, pediatric dentist or a general dentist, you might be asking yourself, ‘what type of dentist should I go to?’
What is a Family Dentist?
Accept patients of all ages. Rather you have a 2-year-old with baby teeth, or grandma is living with you and she still has her teeth, a Springfield, VA family dentist can provide dental care for each member of your family.
Provides regular dental cleanings as well as teeth whitening and root canals.
One stop shopping for your family’s dental needs.
A family dentist near Springfield, VA can make it easier on you and your family. You can schedule several family members at the same time, meaning fewer trips to and from the dentist office.
Each member of your family should see your Springfield, VA family dentist every six months for their checkups and cleanings. This is important so that your family will be able to take proper care of their teeth and gums and for smaller children, this will give them good oral hygiene habits that will stay with them forever.
Bad Habits to Avoid That Can Lead to Bad Teeth
Your family dentist near Springfield, VA will suggest several things that you should avoid doing including:
- Chewing on ice can irritate soft tissue inside the tooth which can cause toothaches. It can also chip or crack your teeth.
- Grinding your teeth, known as Bruxism, can wear your teeth down over a period of time. If you do this, your family dentist near Springfield, VA might recommend for you to wear a mouthguard at night to protect your teeth.
- Tearing open packages with your teeth can cause them to crack, chip or even break. Your teeth are for eating only.
- Snacking provides less saliva that an actual meal allowing food particles to stay on your teeth for hours.
- Coffee will yellow your teeth over time.
- Smoking will not only discolor your teeth, but it can also lead to gum disease.
The worst bad habit you can get into is avoiding your family dentist near Springfield, VA. Brushing and flossing are not enough. To maintain healthy gums and teeth, visit your Springfield, VA family dentist twice a year.