Save Your Teeth with Regular Dental Cleaning near Arlington, VA
The dental cleaning near Arlington, VA, is an essential part of the twice-a-year checkup, part of the process that keeps your teeth in excellent shape. The dental hygienist plays a vital role in good oral health.
It might be tempting to skip an Arlington, VA, dental cleaning, but it’s not a wise idea. The cleaning is a key component of good oral health.
5 Benefits of Dental Cleaning
When you get dental cleaning near Arlington, VA on a regular basis, you have a much better chance of keeping your own teeth for a lifetime of effective use. The dental hygienist is a specialist in getting rid of bacteria and plaque, the causes of tooth decay and inflammation.
Here are 5 benefits to regular dental cleaning near Arlington, VA:
- Stop cavities before they start. Plaque builds up on your teeth, a normal result of the food you eat. This whitish film can build up over time. Brushing and flossing gets rid of some of it.
But the plaque that remains contains an acid substance that digs into your tooth enamel. If it isn’t scraped away by the hygienist, it causes cavities.
- Keep your teeth. If your gums become diseased, you can actually lose your teeth. The beginning of gum problems is the buildup of plaque. It starts with red, painful gums. If left untreated, it leads to receding gums and tooth loss.
If not dealt with, the plaque actually destroys the bone in your jaw that supports your teeth. Regular cleanings prevent this by getting rid of the plaque before it can cause so much damage.
- Whiter, brighter teeth. Many foods stain your teeth, causing your smile to look dull. These include tea, coffee, and red wine. Tobacco is also a big contributor to stained teeth.
With a regular dental cleaning near Arlington, VA, stains are removed. Your teeth get a brighter, polished look.
- Nicer breath. Do you have bad breath on a regular basis? Tell your dental hygienist. Regular cleanings can reduce bacteria that cause bad breath. Daily brushing and flossing are also important.
- Better health. Your oral health has a major impact on your overall medical health. Problems with oral health have been implicated in strokes, heart attacks, and other major illnesses. The better your oral health, the stronger and healthier the rest of your body.
What Happens During a Teeth Cleaning
During a dental cleaning near Arlington, VA, the dental hygienist will remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. She uses a scaler, a small metal tool with a bladed edge that lets her scrape off tartar from your teeth above and below your gum line.
Then she polishes your teeth with a gritty paste. At the end, she flosses your teeth. Your teeth are now much smoother, making it harder for plaque and tartar to adhere to the surface.
“But I Don’t Like It”?
Some patients don’t like getting their teeth cleaned. They say it hurts and it’s irritating. Their gums don’t feel good after the treatment.
Oddly enough, the best way to avoid this type of pain and irritation is by having your regular dental cleaning near Arlington, VA, without fail, every 6 months. The more frequently you get your teeth cleaned, the less sensitive your teeth and gums are.
If you wait for a long time between cleanings, your gums are more sensitive and feel more pain when the hygienist does her job. That’s because your immune system is reacting to the tartar buildup on your teeth.
As an example, when you take a band-aid off a cut, the skin uncovered is highly sensitive. Before, it was safely protected with the covering, but now it is out in the open. When the hygienist removes buildup layer by layer, she is removing the covering that protected your teeth and gums. But it’s important to realize that this covering has a very negative impact on your health.
Another problem that adds to your sensitivity is the fact that the hygienist has to work harder to get rid of the buildup. More gunk has had time to accumulate above and below the gum line. The hygienist has to scrape more and deeper to get rid of all the buildup, especially what has collected below the gum line.
For an easier dental cleaning next time near Arlington, VA, here are 4 suggestions:
- Start using a desensitizing toothpaste, like Sensodyne.
- Don’t brush hard, just brush often. Brushing gently but thoroughly is what cleans your teeth and gums. Brushing hard or overbrushing isn’t necessary. All it does is make your teeth and gums sore.
- Always brush after meals and floss daily, which gets rid of much of the buildup. Your hygienist won’t have to work so hard.
- If you really fear the pain, ask the hygienist to numb your gums. For high-anxiety patients, ask about Minimal Sedation Dentistry, available at Annandale Smiles.
Dental Hygienists, Experts in Oral Care
The dental hygienists at Annandale Smiles are experts in oral care. They go through a rigorous, multi-year training program that makes them dental professionals.
Dental hygienists perform a range of services. The most obvious one is doing teeth cleaning near Arlington, VA. They also do patient screenings, take X-rays, make impressions and apply sealants and fluorides.
One important part of their job is patient education. The hygienist can answer your questions about the correct way to brush and floss, what foods to avoid and other oral health information.
The dental hygienist at Annandale Smiles is an important part of your oral health team. If you have fears or questions, she is happy to give you the information you need. Wonder what she’s going to do when she cleans your teeth? Just ask. Not sure the best type of flossers to use for your comfort? She can offer suggestions.
Trust Your Teeth to Experts
Annandale Smiles is committed to helping you keep your teeth in excellent shape for a lifetime. That’s why they put such emphasis on regular checkups, which include dental cleaning near Arlington, VA. It’s not an add-on, it is a vital component of preventive care.
The foundations of your oral health are:
- Brushing after meals
- Flossing daily
- Getting a checkup every six months
- Getting a dental cleaning every six months
If you do these four things, you increase the chances of keeping your own teeth throughout your life. You reduce the need for general dental work, like fillings and root canals. You also save money, time and reduce the chances of dental pain.
For many years, Annandale Smiles has been helping families in the area with a complete range of dental services. The practice treats every member of the family, from toddlers to teens, adults, and seniors. You don’t need to worry about finding specialist dental care for different members of the family.
Combine all your appointments at one dental practice. It simplifies your life, reduces paperwork and gives you and the dental staff a chance to get to know each other over the years.
Annandale Smiles is happy to work with you, so dental care is affordable. The practice accepts all types of PPO plans. The staff can verify benefits and is happy to bill the insurer directly.
If you don’t have insurance, you have several options to ensure that you can afford quality dental care for every member of the family. For example, Annandale has an in-house program with no deductible, no pre-authorization, and no paperwork.
They also work with third-party financing plans likes CitiHealth and CareCredit. The administrative staff is happy to answer your questions and provide more information about financing that fits your budget. Annandale Smiles is committed to making good oral care available to every member of the family.
Annandale Smiles provides a full range of dental services, including dental cleaning near Arlington, VA, and preventive dentistry, like regular checkups. They handle general dentistry including root canals and fillings.
The dentists at Annandale do cosmetic dentistry, including dental implants, Invisalign and Six Month Smiles, dental implants, teeth whitening, and porcelain veneers. For fearful patients, they provide minimal sedation dentistry.
Time for dental cleaning near Arlington, VA? Call the experts at Annandale Smiles today.