Improve Your Smile with Porcelain Veneers near Springfield, VA
Cracks in teeth, unevenness and deep staining can make your smile less than gorgeous. One of the quickest and most effective ways to make your smile look attractive is with porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA. These thin shells fit right onto your current tooth, improving your look while retaining a natural appearance.
Here is a closer look at what porcelain veneers are and how they can help you achieve the look you want.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA, are made of materials that look like natural teeth. Cut extremely thin, these shells cover the surface of the tooth. They are permanently bonded to the front of the tooth.
The right veneer can improve the appearance of the color, size, shape, and length of a tooth. Each one is custom-made to fit exactly onto the surface of the tooth.
The best are made from porcelain, though some are made using resin materials. Porcelain is the material of choice for most dentists because it does such a good job of resisting stains. It also looks more natural because it has light-reflecting characteristics just like natural teeth.
Veneers Make Your Smile Look More Attractive
Veneers can cover up a lot of problems in your teeth. Here is an overview.
Discoloration: Are your teeth discolored? Deep staining can be beyond the help of teeth whitening. The only thing to do is cover it up. This can be caused by a root canal treatment or from taking the antibiotic tetracycline and certain other drugs. Some people develop stains from excessive fluoride in the water. Occasionally fillings made of resin, especially if they are large, can cause discoloration.
Worn down. Are your teeth worn down? This happens as a person ages. It can also be caused by stress and clenching and grinding your teeth.
Chips. It is easy for individual teeth to become chipped from an accident or biting down too hard on a piece of food. Teeth also show breaks that detract from your smile.
Misalignment. Uneven teeth are common. When they can be misaligned, it reduces the attractiveness of your smile. Some teeth are simply shaped oddly. They might have slight bulges or craters in them.
Gaps. Big gaps between teeth reduce the beauty of your smile. Porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA, can visually close the space and make your teeth look more even.
5 Advantages of Veneers
Cosmetic dentistry has improved greatly over the last two decades. Why should you choose porcelain veneers to fix your problem? Dentists recommend them for several reasons, including:
- Natural appearance. The material is able to reflect light just like your natural teeth. This lets your veneers blend in with the other teeth in your mouth. Most people don’t even know you’ve had the work done.
- Easy on gums. Porcelain does not cause problems for gums, which are sensitive to a range of materials.
- Stain resistant. Your porcelain veneers will resist stains from food and beverages. This is a big plus when it comes to a bright, healthy smile.
- Brighter teeth. Do you have teeth that are darker in appearance? Porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA, are custom shaded to make your smile bright and attractive, while at the same time blending in with your natural teeth.
- Quick. Veneers are considered a conservative type of cosmetic dentistry. They can change your tooth’s shape and color without extensive dental work. This is not true of crowns, which require a good deal of shaping before they are fitted.
- Strong. After getting a porcelain veneer near Springfield, VA, the patient actually has a stronger tooth. The veneer is bonded directly to the original tooth, creating a very durable tooth in the process.
Caring for Veneers
Porcelain veneers are easy to take care of. Your basic methods of good dental care are all they need for maintenance. This includes brushing and flossing daily and coming in for regular checkups.
It always helps to eat sparingly of foods that can cause stains. These include tea, red wine, and coffee. With proper maintenance, they will last for 15 years or more.
Getting Veneers Put On
Getting porcelain veneers put on near Springfield, VA, usually take three trips to your dentist at Annandale Smiles. The first one is for a consultation. The dentist needs to find out what type of problem you want to fix and what your expectations are for the treatment.
During the first visit, the dentist will check your teeth to make sure you are a good candidate for veneers. At this time, he might also have X-rays taken.
During the second visit, he will scrape about .5 millimeter of the enamel off the surface of your tooth. That’s how thick the veneer is. Then he will take an impression of the tooth. This is sent to the dental lab, which actually creates the veneer.
On the final visit, your dentist will bond the custom-made veneer from the dental lab onto your tooth.
Work with Cosmetic Dentistry Experts
The team at Annandale Smiles has been creating beautiful smiles for many years. They have long experience with porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA. They want to help you make the most of your smile, using the most effective treatment possible. For many patients, veneers are the best answer.
Annandale Smiles handles a wide range of dental services for every member of the family, including:
- Cosmetic dentistry, including porcelain veneers
- Sedation dentistry
- Preventive dentistry
- Root canals
- Metal-free crowns
- Dentures and partials
- Infection control
- Gum care
- TMJ care
Interested in perfecting your smile? Call the experts at Annandale Smiles today to find out more about porcelain veneers near Springfield, VA.